Friday, June 20, 2008

Yosemite, anyone?

In three weeks, when Birch finishes his internship, he and I will escape to California while Trevor stays in Flagstaff to be spoiled by his grandparents. We'll be camping in Yosemite National Park for 5-6 days and I hope we can get a night of backpacking in also.

Now we need to get serious about planning. Neither of us have been there, but we have a few suggestions from friends who have been before. I REALLY want to climb Half Dome and I think there's a big tree called General Sherman? Any other ideas? We'll also be driving for 8-9 hours, so if you've heard any good books on tape lately, let me know.

We're taking this trip for a couple of reasons:
1. It's our 5-year anniversary in August!
2. We haven't taken a vacation by ourselves in three years. We always jump in the car with our families and tag along with them.
3. I hope Trevor will do well with us being gone after he's gotten used to both families this summer. (I've never left him overnight!)

Hikers climbing the last stretch of Half Dome. We'll definitely get an earlier start when it's not so crowded.

7 comments:

Camille said...

Wow you guys will have a great time. Ben and i are coming home in Aug. and we are going to leave Pierson with my mom in Flagstaff for a little getaway. I have never left Pierson overnight either!! It has a lot to do with living away from everyone but still scarey. It is like you trust your family to watch them but you just hope they don't get too sad you being gone. Hope you guys have a blast. Can't wait to see pics on the blog. HAPPY ANNIVERSERY.

Anonymous said...

You guys really deserve a vacation and some time without Trever. It is hard at first but then you feel an overwhelming feeling of freedom

Unknown said...

I have never been there but it looks so beautiful! I am sure you guys will have a blast... and I think Trevor will be busy getting spoiled! We still haven't left Brynlie overnight yet either but I think I am about ready for a little trip. Hope you have a great time!

Sierra said...

I'm so jealous!! You two are going to have so much fun! Someday I'll get to go there!

Allie said...

That last picture is so crazy! I had no idea it was that packed! And I totally agree with Brittany, you two deserve a vacation without the baby. Its so good for every marriage!

Ren, Anna, & Tristan said...

Wow, you guys are brave. It looks intense to me! It will be so fun to get away!

the dahle family said...

I happened upon your blog and thought I would share a few thoughts on Yosemite. Definitely would recommend the Half Dome hike (take the mist trail) and Giant Sequoias. Take leather or garden gloves to protect your hands on the cables. Walking around the meadows of the valley floor and checking out the museums are also fun. Upper Yosemite Falls is supposed to be a great hike. We spent most of our week there rock climbing. If you don't have camping reservations you can stay at camp 4 (walk-in, first come first serve) but it's busy in the summer with lots of climbers.