If I ever strike it rich, one thing I will have no problem splurging on is kids' toys. Nothing that requires batteries to power all the lights and sounds but pretty much anything from Melissa and Doug's line. If they would just send me a sample of every toy before it hits the stores I would be happy.
But since that won't happen anytime soon I'm stuck getting creative. Here is our project from this afternoon: helping Trevor learn his "yettas." It's just a cardboard shirt box cut in squares with magnets glued on the back for him to sort on the fridge.

We've also found some funny ways to entertain him during church. Here is another piece of cardboard cut into shapes and hole-punched to lace onto a pipe cleaner.

This final product started as an empty cornmeal container. Two holes were cut in the top: a larger one for pom-pom balls and a smaller one for Q-tips.
Please share your homemade toy ideas! I know you've been desperate and had moments of inspiration.
12 comments:
I love the fact that he is learning his letters. I have no ideas to share but I will be checking to see what everyone else says:)
Here are tons of DIY kids projects. Also there are tons of sites dedicated to homeschooling that have lots of good project ideas
WOW! You are so creative! What great ideas! I might be calling you soon for ideas! Great idea with the letter magnets!
I totally broke down and bought one of those leapfrog magnetic letter thingies the other day. It was too expensive and so I returned it the next day but now I can use your idea and solve the problem! Jack is totally into letters right now and points out "a B!" every time he sees it anywhere. I saw a little boy with a ball that was connected to long string of elastic. It was attached to his rist so it couldn't roll away. Genius! Did you see that at church today too? That's the best one I can give you. I just want to steal your ideas not think of any on my own! Ha!
You are so creative Camille! I am wishing I had gone into teaching so that I would have a better idea of when to teach Kenzie certain things! I don't really have any good ideas but I too will be looking for other's ideas and checking out that DIY site!
Hey! Ali helped me when it came to a great jogging stroller. I ended up getting a tike tech double trouble jogger. I absolutely love it. It weighs about 35 lbs and can hold up to 100 lbs. I would recommend not getting a double that has a swivel wheel if you want to use it for running. Also, I would get one where the three tires are 16" it makes the jog a lot more smooth. I hope that helps. We need to pop these kids out of us and get a moving. I have talked to Ali about doing the st. george marathon in 2010. What do you think? Are you up for the challenge?
I already told you this Camille but for others benefit we use sample or small bottles of conditioner, lotion and use them as squirt toys in the bath. The ultimate toys for Lizzy lately our empty laundry baskets and boxes she loves to act like I cant see her in them.
Empty kleenx boxes are always good to put little surprises for them to find inside.Broom sticks make good horses, TP rolls great telescopes or with some tape pretend binoculars. Piggy banks are great to put change into and dump it out plus sorting change is a good challenge as long as he dosn't put stuff in his mouth anymore. I have an old jewlry box that has a little set of keys he loves to try the keys and open and close it also luggage locks with little keys are good pratice. Love the Q tip pom pom ball idea will have to try that one. And we found a leap frog letter thing at a garage sale for 3 bucks! So keep your eyes out for doug and melissa toys on that one! Hey maybe they will let you be there offical sampler!!
Hey Camille, you probably don't remember me, but I think we may have met at Grandpa McEuen's funeral. I married Heather McEuen. Anyway, congratulations on the girl,I'm sure she'll be healthy and lovely. Also, I have a sauce recipe for you. Its actually kind of a Sandra Lee, Semi-homemade pizza thing, but here goes.
I make a pizza crust from scratch, but you can use whatever you want for the dough-sometimes I use Rhodes frozen dough, I just roll it out into pizza shape. Then, I top it with about half Ragu, and half of my current favorite BBQ sauce, Sweet Baby Rays. On top o that goes chicken from a rotissierie chicken-you know the kind-Sams or Costco, some purple onions sauteed in butter, maybe a touch of crumbled bacon, and some pineapple tidbits if i'm feeling tropical. Ta-da- Hawaiian BBQ chicken pizza. It's a hit with my family, maybe yours will like it too. Love the Blog!
What a creative idea! You are so good.
Oh and Congrats on #2! That is so exciting!
Okay I totally meant to tell you about this at church today and forgot.... Home Depot does a kids prodject the first Saturday of each month that it totally free (sometimes we'll even have firetrucks, police cars, a race car, -and once in Cali we had a helicopter show up.) Anyways the kids get to make a little project out of wood. It's really cute and they even get their own Home Depot apron. It starts at 9am and goes until supplies last (which sometimes at my store is within an hour). This next one in March (I believe March 7th) is a little race car thing. So you should take Trevor. He'd probably love it. All home depot's do it.
we are into musical instruments (aka lots of drumming - check out the book "Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb" by Al Perkins). we have put rice or beans inside of a plastic juice bottle, glued the lid shut, and voila! homemade maraca. or sewn two paper plates together with a shoe lace (putting beans inside first) and voila! a tambourine. my mom used to have baby food jar lids with elastic loops punched through the tops to make mini finger cymbals. maybe not the best ideas with birch studying...
we also have an old wipies box full of different scraps of cloth that my kids love to pull out, feel and play peek-a-boo with, and then stuff them all back in.
Post a Comment