Thursday, April 16, 2009

My Husband the Sports Writer

When Birch closes the door to study in our office at home, I assume he's actually studying most of the time. After all, who wouldn't get distracted by the internet or take a little nap once in a while?

But today I learned that another distraction for Birch is emailing his opinion to writers on espn.com. If you look on the college basketball home page today, you'll see a letter he wrote included in an article written about the NCAA basketball tournament. Nice job, babe!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4073000

I'm not sure how long this link will work, so here's his letter:

Mr. Lunardi,

I enjoyed your most recent article, "Re-examining the at-large 'eye test'." In full disclosure I must admit that I'm a student at the University of Arizona and was completely shocked when we made it into the tournament, but we'll take what we can get.

You speak of which team is "best" and "most deserving" to get an at-large bid to the field of 65. Why not examine who is "best" and "most deserving" to be in the tournament overall? Do your No. 15 and No. 16 seeds represent the best teams in the country? Where would they fit in your RPI-based evidence chart? Is the conference champion of a crappy conference really "deserving" to play with the "best" teams in the country? For example, should David Stern start including D-league division or conference champions in the NBA playoffs? Aren't they as "deserving" as Morehead State or Radford (I think there's more parity between the D-league and the NBA as compared to UNC and Morehead State)?

I think we need to stop giving out automatic bids to conference champions and start taking the best 64 (not 65) teams in college basketball to the NCAA tournament. As you said, the best and the most deserving are the same teams. Right?

Thanks,
Birch, Tucson, Ariz.

6 comments:

Christi said...

Good job Birch! Basketball has always been my favorite sport to watch, but until reading this letter I didn't realize how out of the loop I was with the basketball terminology/lingo. I think I need to watch more basketball! :)

Jana said...

LOL, I'm always confounded by how much time Jeff can spend on espn.com. It's like his equivalent of my blogging or something, how he keeps up with his peeps or something!
Go Birch!

Kat Clark said...

So funny. Michael used to do a whole number of other things while "studying" but never something this productive. It's actually pretty cool! :)

Allen Frost said...

Birch! Wow, I followed the link to espn.com--that was great! I can't believe they published your whole letter. Apparently Mr. Lunardi loved it too. Keep up the good work.

Bridget said...

I don't think I understood a word of that. Yay for diverse interests!

Caleb and Jenni said...

Hey Camille, my mom called me the other day to ask my opinion about you being on bedrest. I hope everything is going well and that you and the baby are both feeling good! I'm thinking about you and I am really excited for you guys to have a baby girl. Good luck and keep me posted...babies are my specialty :) Love ya!