
For those who haven't been to our house before, we don't exactly live in a prime location. Our neighborhood is safe, but a few streets over in any direction get a little sketchy.
Usually when I go running I stick to main roads, especially when I have Trevor with me in the jogger. But every once in a while I get antsy and decide to explore.
This was the case on Saturday. Trevor was down for a nap with Birch watching him so I took off on a new run. Everything was fine until I ran into a pack of stray dogs roaming the streets. Usually when I see dogs I immediately take off my sunglasses and start walking very slowly. Something about a person running by in sunglasses and a hat always seems to make them chase!
I tried this strategy but one dog decided that I was still a threat. He started circling me, growling and barking. I was REALLY nervous and looked for anyone outside to help me. My only hope was a group of young boys having a wrestling match on their trampoline in the front yard. I yelled for help and one of them started yelling at the dog in Spanish. It distracted him long enough for me to scoot away and promise myself to never go "exploring" again.
Maybe I should get that pepper spray out of my closet...
7 comments:
Okay-- that is scary! I can't believe that dog was really circling you & growling. I probably would have lost it! So glad those boys were there to help out a little. It looks like your house is very cute! I'm sure it's nice to have warm enough weather that you can go for a run outside in January, too... without getting snowflakes in your face. :) (I'm a woosy at cold-weather running.)
Ahh! I keep doing this... sorry, that comment was by me (Lori). Hehe! Allen gets so mad when I forget to check which name I'm posting under and then he ends up sounding like a girl. :) What can you do, right? My bad. Just know that Allen doesn't write like a girl... hilarious. Have a good week!
That is really scary. I would have been nervous too! I would take pepper spray every time if you are running alone, regardless of where you go (now I sound like my mom). :)
Wow what an adventure! Running in Tucson can be quite the gamble!! =)Great idea with the pepper spray if you can yank it out fast enought...knowing me it would get caught on my pants or something and i would end up pepper spraying myself then getting attacked!LOL! I had no idea Birtch served his mission in NYC! That is awesome...i am sure he has all sorts of cool stories to tell. Your little guy looks so much like a Frost to me!!
That's crazy. I use to have a paper route and dogs would start to chase me all the time. It was sooo scray. Then one time I was bit by a friends dog..... in the butt!!!! Not a fan of big scary dogs,
I go running with Miriam in the jogger up on the river path and I always have pepper spray with me. I always assumed that if I ever had to use it, it would be on a human, but the other day I think there was a hyena or something running loose up there. It stared me down as I ran by and kind of freaked me out!!
So yeah, pepper spray is definitely a good idea. Awesome blog, by the way!
I can speak from experience: pepper spray does scare them off. I pepper sprayed a dog when I was running awhile ago. It was two dogs acting very angry at me and I didn't know what to do. I was so freaked out! So I feel your pain. But I'm not sure if the pepper spray might make some dogs even more angry...
Post a Comment