Sunday, July 5, 2009

I've Been Feelin'

First a few pictures. My sister Becca thinks staying at our house is as fun as any summer camp so she's here for the week visiting. I'm loving the extra help with the kids.


Haley is a month old now. We go to the doctor this week so I don't have any stats yet, but check out the rolls under her chin! She's got to be close to 7 lbs. by now.












So, I've been feelin'...

Relieved: Birch finally took his boards last Monday--yeah! I'm glad the pressure is off and he has a week to relax before school starts. These next two years will be clinical rotations. I'm excited for him to have a break from studying and get experience with doctors and patients. He's going to love it! Birch still wants to work in the ER so we'll see if that changes.
Overwhelmed: I read all your blogs about how hard it was to have two kids and I'm embarrassed to admit I thought "It won't be that bad for me." Now I'm being punished and IT IS that hard. I really don't mind being up at night with a newborn; it's the long days with no break that kill me. I'm still trying to keep a clean house, make nice meals and be a happy mom and wife...we'll see how long that lasts! If anyone wants to share the big secret of how to survive being a mom of more than one, please do.
Lazy: Not being allowed to exercise has been a great excuse for relaxing and given me more time during the day. I am ready to get running again but glad I don't have to start just yet.
Nervous: We're going to start potty training Trevor this week. Yuck! It is the last thing in the world I want to do. Hopefully it will be quick.
Happy: Having a newborn brings all kinds of unsolicited advice. One of the most common is "Enjoy your kids now. Don't be too anxious for them to grow up." I can honestly say that I'm happy where I'm at right now. I'm not wishing for that day when we're out of school or the diapers are gone. I love my situation and I hope I always feel that way.

10 comments:

The Ensign's said...

Good luck with the potty training. I hope it goes better for you than it did me. My advice.... clear your schedule for a week. Trevor's a good kid though. I'm sure he'll do well.

Elaine said...

With our two kids sometimes I think "Thats it-no more. Two is good, maybe when they are 15 we will think about having kids again." Good luck with potty training. We are in the middle of it right now with Gracie.

Brittany Cornett said...

well now I am feeling nervous about the two kids part, oh well cant do anything about it now.
But looking at the sunnyside it should get easier, the first few months are hard anyways, right?
Potty training is soooo worth it! Even if you feel suicidal for a week.

Barbara said...

Yay! Congrats to Birch, what a relief! How fun for you to have Becca around. I bet Trevor is just loving that. Yeah having two kids was a total shocker for me. It really isn't that bad until you are just dead tired and still can't lay down for five minutes. But it does get a little easier when Trevor can start to entertain Haley and you can get little things done like going to the restroom :) Good luck with potty training!

Cherie said...

Sounds like fun times! I've had two kids for a year and a half now. What I still haven't mastered is grocery shopping. My cart is so full of kids I have nowhere to put all the food and 5 gallons of milk. Good luck with potty training. Been there, done that....have absolutely no advice for you. :) I'm debating paying someone to do it for me the next time around. j/k it's really not that bad--most days.

Camille said...

Cute blog post. She is getting so big! Love it. I feel all those things too. I have to say the 6 then 8 week marks have been nice...still waiting for month three thats when things really smooth out. Congrats on the first years of school over. btw Pierson and your little girl have the same B day just three years apart =) Let me know how pt goes i am waiting til ben has a school break in Aug.

Kellianne said...

Camille...you are such a cute mom! I'm glad you're enjoying your kids. I think that's the hardest and most important part. My advice...give yourself a break! Two kids was a harder adjustment for me than three. It'll get better, but don't try to do it all! Potty training...my least favorite thing in the world! My only advice, encourage, but don't push too hard...two year olds tend to push back (I learned that the hard way), especially if their strong willed. Good luck!

Jen and Reed said...

Wish I had some advice to give you. I'm sure it will all come out great in the end. You're a great mom and a strong person. How fun to have your family visit too...what a big help. You know I'm gonna be asking you for this kind of advice when my turn rolls around. You'll be an expert by then!!

Kelly said...

what a great update. I am glad to hear your doing well.. I miss you. I am glad Birch is done.. what a relief right?

Kat Clark said...

Are you sure you are ready to potty train?! Ahhh! I won't even let myself think about it. You are so brave and I'm so glad you are doing it before me so you can talk me through it.